Building and supporting a robust immune system has never been more important, especially as the world slips in and out of quarantine and grapples with the global pandemic.
The immune system is a complex network that helps fight infection and disease. A strong immune system helps safeguard your health and the health of your loved ones and the wider community.
Boosting your immunity with healthy habits
While genetics play a significant role in your immune health, the immune system is also greatly impacted by our daily lifestyle choices. If you’re looking to boost immune health and safeguard against airborne infections, consider implementing the following healthy habits.
- Enjoy a diverse, whole food diet packed with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Your immune system requires nutrient-dense foods to function and is suppressed by excessive sugar, so cut back on processed, sugary foods and dig into a rainbow of fresh produce.
- Allow yourself to rest and aim for 7-8 hours of sleep a night so that your body has a chance to recover and build immunity.
- Move your body for at least 30 minutes a day. A mix of aerobic and strength-based training will help build healthy muscles and bones, which will, in turn, promote a healthy immune system.
- Drink plenty of water, as it helps deliver essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to the cells in our body.
- Practice mindfulness and pay attention to your mental health. Research shows that regular mindfulness practice can increase levels of disease-fighting cells, not to mention it makes you feel good.
- Consider taking supplements to boost any levels that may otherwise be lacking.